Requesting a Trauma Drop or Withdrawal

Related Topic: Petitions for Exceptions to Academic Policies and Procedures

At University Park, a trauma drop/withdrawal is initiated by the student in consultation with the following people:

If the student has not met with a counselor at the Center for Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), the student should consult with Margaret Lorah, director, Center for Women Students, 204 Boucke Building, 814-863-2027.

If the student has met with a CAPS counselor, the student should consult with Tammy MacAlarney, CAPS case manager, or Ben Locke, CAPS director, 501 Student Health Center, 814-863-0395.

At other Penn State campuses, a strong letter of support from a staff member, petitioning for trauma drop/withdrawal may be forwarded to the appropriate contact for processing. A student letter is not required. The appropriate University form must be submitted with this request.

Family deaths and unplanned pregnancy (unless assault-related) are not usually within the guidelines of this option.

Reviewed: May 2016
Last Update: July 2012