Corrected Grade

A student who questions his/her grade should confer with the instructor of the course. If he/she agrees that the grade is incorrect, the instructor corrects the grade using eLion (according to procedures provided in the Academic Administrative Policies and Procedures Manual, G-5). If the instructor cannot be contacted, the student should go directly to the instructor's department head for action.

When the student's official record has been corrected, the student will be notified by email that his/her grade has been changed and will be directed to LionPATH to view the change. (Students without a Penn State access account will be notified by mail.)

If a student has a disagreement about a grade that cannot be resolved with the instructor, the student may initiate grade mediation and adjudication.


A grade change must be made within one year after the end of the semester in which the course was taken. After that time, students requesting a corrected grade must submit a petition to the University Faculty Senate.

Reviewed: July 2015
Last Update: January 2010

Reference(s): Senate Policy 48-30