Student Aid (Financial Aid)

314 Shields Building
University Park, PA 16802

Credits Required for Aid Eligibility

The Office of Student Aid provides details on credits required to maintain financial aid satisfactory academic progress.

Academic Actions that Affect Aid Eligibility

A number of academic situations can affect a student's eligibility for financial aid:

Auditing a Course: A student cannot receive financial aid for an audited course.

Failing a Course: If a student receives an F in a course, the credits are not counted as earned credits toward financial aid eligibility. Additionally, student financial aid recipients who receive one or more F grades in a semester may have their aid adjusted according to federal regulations and may be required to repay part or all of the federal or state funds they received for that semester.

Leave of Absence: A student should contact the student aid representative at his/her Penn State campus before taking a leave of absence to discuss any potential issues related to repayment of aid funds.

Nondegree Enrollment: Nondegree students are not eligible for student aid.

Reducing Credit Load by Dropping or Late Dropping a Course or Withdrawing: Information on Withdrawal and Aid and Dropping Credits and Aid is available on the Student Aid website. These actions can impact eligibility even when processed retroactively by petitioning the University Faculty Senate.

Repeating a Course: Repeating a course may impact your federal and/or state grant eligibility. A student should check with his/her state grant agency (in PA / out-of-state) and the student aid representative at his/her Penn State campus when considering repeating a course.

Not Maintaining Minimum Required GPA: Please visit the Penn State Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for detailed information about the GPA requirements to remain eligible for financial aid.

Scheduling Courses at Another Institution: A student who wants to temporarily attend a school other than Penn State should consult with the student aid representative at his/her Penn State campus .

Transferring to Another Institution: A student interested in transferring to another institution should contact the student aid representative at his/her Penn State campus to find out what steps to take in order to continue to receive aid after transferring.

More information is available on the Office of Student Aid website.

The University may make changes in policies, procedures, educational offerings, and requirements at any time. Please consult a Penn State academic adviser for more detailed information.

Last Update: October 2016

Reference(s): University Faculty Senate Policies and Rules for Undergraduate Students, Appendix E Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy