Current policy reflected below. Changes to Senate Policy 59-00 (Requirements for the Minor) pending implementation. (Note: Policy will be renumbered 59-10 and title will change to Minors and Certificates.)

A minor is an academic program that supplements a baccalaureate degree. Minors require a minimum of 18 credits and typically no more than 21 credits with at least 6 but ordinarily not more than half of the credits at the 400 level. A minor program may consist of course work in a single area or from several disciplines. A student may complete more than one minor if he/she is interested in developing an emphasis in additional disciplines.

It is possible to complete a minor within the total credits required for the major because credits may also satisfy General Education, major, and minor requirements. For example, ENGL 050 (GA) could satisfy a 3-credit requirement in the English minor and also satisfy 3 credits of a student's General Education arts requirement. Students are permitted to complete multiple minors, and courses that meet requirements in one minor can also satisfy a requirement in another minor. For example, a student completing the Economics (ECON) and Business (BSBCC) minors could satisfy a requirement in both minors by completing ECON 102.

In most cases, students do not have to be enrolled in the college that offers a particular minor in order to pursue that minor. Requirements for a minor can be completed at any campus location that offers courses specified for the minor. However, a student may not change from a campus that offers his/her major to a campus that does not offer the major in order to complete a minor.

A certificate program can be a stepping stone to a minor or an alternative for students who do not have the flexibility to complete all requirements for a minor or who find they do not want to complete a minor after testing their interest in a few courses.

Minimum Grade Requirements

A grade of C or better is required for all courses in a minor. The student's academic progress in meeting retention and graduation requirements in the minor is monitored by the person in charge of the minor.

Impact on a Student Record

Degree Audit

When a student is admitted to a minor, the minor and minor program year will be listed on his/her degree audit. Up to four minors can be listed. (See section 2 of this sample degree audit.)

Transcript and Certificate

When a student graduates, the Registrar records completed minors on his/her transcript. The student receives an official certificate certifying completion of each minor. (The certificates are given with the diploma.) Neither a transcript nor certificate indicates the campus that offered the minor.

Student Action

Planning a Minor

  1. Use MinorQuest to explore minors.
  2. If you identify a minor of interest, determine if you can complete it: Required courses may be controlled, have prerequisites, or be unavailable at your campus. Before beginning coursework to meet minor requirements, use the Minor Planning Checklist and Minor Worksheet to determine if the minor is attainable.
  3. A minor degree audit, available on eLion, can be used to track your progress toward completion of a minor and identify unfulfilled requirements. (To request an audit for a minor, you need to know which college offers the minor. A listing of minors by college is provided by the Registrar's office.)
  4. Meet with your academic adviser to refine your plans, discuss incorporating the minor into your major, and develop a semester-by-semester plan to meet requirements (and prerequisites).

Declaring/Applying for a Minor

Declaring a minor does not guarantee that the required courses will be available or that you will be able to complete the minor.

There are two procedures for entering a minor:

  1. Minors that do not have entrance requirements can be declared on eLion.
  2. Minors that have special entrance criteria require an application.

Declaring a Minor: If a minor does not have entrance requirements (see Special Considerations listed by minor in MinorQuest), use the eLion Minor Declaration application. After declaring your minor, notify the person/department responsible for the minor and ask that you be included on the departmental/minor email listserv.

Applying for a Minor: If a minor has entrance requirements (check MinorQuest under the minor’s Special Consideration link), you must contact the department offering the minor to apply.

Deadline: A minor can be declared any time after you have been accepted in a major and attained third-semester classification (29.1 credits). Typically, to graduate with a minor, you must be accepted in the minor before the late drop deadline of your last semester (check for an earlier deadline in MinorQuest under the minor’s Special Consideration link).

After Graduation: It is possible to be awarded a minor up to five years after your graduation. The following criteria apply: (1) the minor must have been offered at the time you graduated, (2) you satisfied all the requirements for the minor before you graduated, and (3) you have paid any fee assessed for the minor. Note: any minor requiring an audition or portfolio for admission cannot be awarded retroactively. To request a minor retroactively, contact the person responsible for the minor indicated in the resources below.

Withdrawing from and Reapplying for a Minor

A student who has applied for a minor but does not complete it is not required to take any action to withdraw from the minor. If a minor is not completed, it is not recorded.

Students admitted to a minor who interrupt their continuous enrollment must reapply for the minor when re-enrolling in the University if the minor is still desired. Requirements for the minor are those in effect at the time the student most recently entered the minor program.

Minor Resources

The Undergraduate Degree Programs Bulletin provides official listings and descriptions.

The Registrar’s office offers a listing of minor programs presented alphabetically by code or college.

MinorQuest provides the option of searching by interest area(s) or by title and includes links to the Bulletin and minor home pages (if available). In addition, special considerations and phased-out dates are included, when applicable.

The academic advising center in the college or campus offering the minor (listed in the Bulletin) provides more detailed information.

Reference(s): Senate Policy 59-00, 82-20

Last Update: July 2016